Wednesday, March 30, 2011

This is SPARTA!!!!

So I've settled on my theme for the rest of my project. I'm going with the tribal theme and focusing on warriors - Spartans to be precise :) I've been looking into Spartan history and researching "300" - comic and film. Here are some of the images I've been looking at.
 Historical monuments in Thermopylae - where the infamous battle against the Persians took place.
 King Leonidas 1- led his 300 men in battle


 Monument to the 300 Spartan - Spartan shield and helmet.
 Now onto popular culture - focusing on Comic and film!!!!
Unfortunately I've never read Fank Miller's "300" bar what I've been able to find online, but I think the illustrations are just amazing! I love graphic illustrations, particularly Miller's style (he also illustrated Sin City - another of my favs!).
 One of the many covers for the comic (above) and a few pages form the comic itself (below).


I really love seen the comparision between film and comic and I have to say, fair props to the costume and set designers on the film, they did a pretty good job!

 Ah, what a great excuse to look at Gerard Butler!


 The Persian Emporor Xerxes - Sparta's enemy.
I got great ideas from this image, the excessive gold jewellery and shapes from the statue things on his throne were brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment